Friday, February 27, 2009

these are just a couple of my cravings...


There is something to be said for approaching a meal with reverence. In our more privileged culture, we forget that plenty is uncommon. We forget to savor taste, the effort involved in producing, packaging, procuring, preparing our meals; most of us, myself included, tend to simply unhinge our jaws, attack and digest. In an effort to better myself, I am approaching my measly existence with gratitude and am attempting to focus on positive things, good things versus all the rest of it. For me, this lends itself to an emphasis on simple pleasures...I have many and I seem to have lost sight of them somewhere along the way. The photograph above represents one such simple pleasure: a moment out of my day where I, in quiet contemplation, prepared myself a meal of exactly what I wanted. It was fresh, totally satisfying and completely savored. With every bite, it became more clear that my life has the potential to be pretty fucking awesome if I am able to recognize it, acknowledge it and thank both myself and the universe for it.  Fresh strawberries, vanilla yogurt and the most delicious banana I've had in awhile. It was made better by my attempt at fancy presentation and I fell so in love with my lunch that I wanted to try and capture that on film. This may all seem ridiculous but it inspired a smile that remained firmly planted on my face for the rest of the afternoon. 

No comments: