Sunday, December 14, 2008

hmmm...

So that last tirade seems a bit incoherent, but I leave it posted because...its my GD blog and I do what I want. I began the last post with the idea that because of my experience as part of certain cultures (or perhaps, as in anthropology, engaged in a participant observation of said culture) I can comment. 1, 2, 3...GO! Imaginonda. Shamiracle. Diont'avia. Interesting names that crop up as endemic to "black" culture. As the product of a bilingual, Hispanic household, I can tell you that we (as the other brown people,) have our fair share of bizarre naming habits. Take Tia Transito or my great-grandfather, the scoundrel...Baldomero. His wife, Isidora. My cousin Ziomara. My mom, ALBA. I mean...wow. I've determined that these naming habits might be explained by the process of identity authentication that our generation is exposed to daily in this series of tubes. To comment on a blog post, to purchase something online, to open an email account...all require that you prove you are, in fact, human by typing some random assortment of letters, symbols. I've determined that this is the post-9/11 baby-naming book for minority culture. Recently, I was typing out a comment to a favorite blogger and needed to prove I was skin and bones. To authenticate, I needed to type Vaneysus. I think I went to high-school with her...

No comments: