Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just sayin'

As someone who spent her formative years in so-called "ghetto" schools (understood as schools for "those people," meaning "minorities,") I feel have agency to comment on certain aspects of the cultures I was exposed to. For example, the inequity of the American education system--the concept of the "class set" of books had to be explained to me. I remember staring at the lockers longingly as I carried my 36 lb. backpack around...when you are carrying 36 lbs in the front, as well as strapped to your back, you come to understand the value of chiropractic care. My schools were too poor to afford books for everyone, let alone enough to avoid spasms and herniated discs. And we were not allowed to use the lockers, because the black male youth population is inherently violent, constantly packing...right? As I recall, the mass scale school shootings in this country have not been in low-income, minority populated areas, but lily-white hunting-centric locations. Whatever.
I understand the school system in this country is informed by tax brackets, but let us be realistic in assessing these brackets as reinforcing de facto segregation. Minority populations in this country represent the lowest numbers of land holdings, education levels, etc...these lines are drawn to reflect the financial contribution to the tax system, which is significantly less in comparison to homeowners, the upper-middle class....where I come from, this population is predominatly white. I am careful to reinforce the notion that this is informed by my experience because I want to be politically correct. I would not argue with those brave enough to say that this is typical (perhaps universal) in this country.
This stems from some comments I just overheard as I sat outside studying...I cannot recall the exact wording...suffice it to say the comments were ignorant and ridiculous.
Yes, Virgina, there is a Santa Claus. Yes, Virgina, we DO have a amazing, gifted, Biracial president...but this isn't the end of the line. The weight of history is still reflected in the primary social institutions of this country, namely the education system and the media; the accountability to minority populations in terms of equal access, distribution of resources and representation does not evaporate with the election of Barack Obama. While his campaign tended to shy away from explicitly racial claims/discussions, perhaps his presidency will not only open dialogue but promote advocacy, not just for the "gun-wielding, illiterate" black youth, chonga or Other, but for those of us that understand that the fight isn't finished...its only just begun.

No comments: